Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Word on the Game's Progress

I was going to post another Games That Could Be post today, but I've put that off because I feel I should talk a little bit about the Game That Is. I've been avoiding talking about it because I've been hoping to have better news, but things haven't been improving so far.

I've written up a fair bit of content for v0.15, probably something like 20-25% of what I'd consider a full update's worth, along with a few adjustments I'm still ironing out to hopefully address the difficulty concerns we explored in a poll a while ago.

I think that once this update is actually ready, a lot of people will be happy to see the new content-- I'm introducing a way to address a lot of more niche interests without making the game as a whole overly complicated. It will also introduce a sort of sub-plot, to give you something to think on besides just Lith's developing issues, which I've mentioned previously as the main conflict for the story we're going to see unfold.

The problem is that I've hit a certain wall-- and I've been scraping at it for about a month now. It's brought my commissions grinding to a halt as well, and I've been doing some personal exploration to try and find the way to put the passion back into my work. The problem, to put it briefly, is that I can't write a good sex scene right now.

I like to think that detailed, evocative sex scenes are a specialty of mine, and I've always enjoyed a wild variety of themes, especially many of those around which MVOL is centered. I can't say I expected this sort of problem to come up, but honestly, any time I sit down to write new sensual material, it just feels cookie cutter and uninteresting. I could never publish an update with any of the sex I'm trying to write in it right now. So the game has come to a standstill.

This doesn't mean the game is stopping entirely. I'm working with the artist I mentioned previously, and while I don't want to jinx anything, it's looking like a strong possibility the game will be getting a much-needed influx of actual artistic talent to round out its sexy new look. I'm very excited to see how this goes!

And in the meantime, I'm still working on myself, and through this personal conflict, the game. I'm not going to let the quality of this game founder, so the sexual content isn't going to advance until I can find the drive in myself again to write something I think is worthwhile. I know this will be a disappointment for many of you, and I'm sorry, but I hope sincerely that I can overcome this soon. I appreciate everyone's support, and I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

Until I have better news, I guess you can enjoy more of my pipe dream ideas for future games! It's been great putting this stuff down and getting some feedback on it. Oh, and since I gave a rough estimate, I guess I'll include an official progress bar:

(+++=======)

30% of the way to an update-worthy amount of content. I've been playing with the idea of including enough non-sexual content to make it a worthwhile whole, but seeing as this is largely a sexual game, and this particular update's purpose is almost entirely focused on sexual goals, it seems like very much a last resort. We'll see how it goes from here! Thanks again, folks!

4 comments:

  1. I would love to see the game focus on indirect objects more. To me, it creates a more unexpected but more self-driven experience that you can keep playing and stay interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lithier
    You say your struggling to write atm. Just a thought... What if you give a little context to the scene/s your struggling with I'm sure some of the followers would be happy to bounce some ideas around which might help.

    I'd like to see Lith grow in confidence and in effect turn the tables on the player and dominate far more than the current tentative Lith. Possibly to the point "He/She taking far more control" milking the player dry / borderline humiliation for example which could lead to an alternative Lith story of growing up not feeling worthless but in control and demanding requiring a high pleasure rating to advance in progression Leather collar - Milk addition.

    F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If and when I start a game on any other subject, I'd be happy to get other folks' help generating the content ^.^; But the primary objective of MVOL is to create a portrait of Lith, and explore him as a character from every side. For that reason, I have to work out Lith's actions and attitudes on my own, and design the game around how these things would work out. I already have enough trouble with folks constantly suggesting ideas that are completely irrelevant to Lith's identity because they want to see "a game" with those features, but that's not this game.

      Similarly, what you're describing would be a massive transformation of Lith's most basic underlying characteristics. People are welcome to make games about dominant characters, but while Lith does have his switch elements, he isn't that kind of person and I'm afraid it isn't very likely that he ever will be.

      I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, and I'm sorry I can't make better use of them ^.^; I hope you'll be satisfied with what I have to offer once I manage to produce more for the game!

      Delete
  3. It's your pet project Lithier, just relax and have fun with it. Kind of interesting, where most would write a story or draw a picture of a character they enjoy you're sort of making an interactive meet and cuddle with yours. To put it simply anyway. I think your big problem is people think of this as a game rather than an art project they can interact with, I say art project but it's like you're bringing Lithier to life in your own way for others to get to know. Anyway have a good day and best of luck with MVL.

    ReplyDelete